Saturday, December 3, 2011

It's December Already?

I can't believe July 30 was my last blog post. How have you been?

Here's what I've been doing:

1) Surviving the new school year. It amazes me how much homework a third and sixth grader can have each day. You'd think they were in college. AND it amazes me how much I've been helping them. I feel like I'm back in school with all the book reports and writing happening this year. Thank God my hubby helps them in the math department. Not my strongest subject for sure.

2) Taking online writing classes. Well, I actually am back in school. I took my first online UCLA writing class this summer with the UCLA Writers Extension program, Writing the Young Adult Novel with Beth Ann Bauman. I just completed a fall quarter class, Novel Planning: Writing Order out of Chaos with Lynn Hightower. These classes just keep getting better and better. I've been pushed and stretched to places I'd thought my writing couldn't go. Each class is seriously tough, but worth it. I've got an edgy novel pretty much figured out. I never thought I'd want to write a novel, but I've never been more excited about a writing project and I'm putting my all into it. I'll be enrolling in the winter quarter soon. If you don't hear from me for a while again, you'll know why.

3) Attending sporting events. Hockey and football. I've been chauffeuring my boys to practices and games nonstop. We even attended our first Baron's hockey game a few weeks ago on free jersey night and hope to attend a OKC Thunder games soon once the NBA games get going again. Whew. Being in an all-boy family, it's a good thing I like sports.

4) Adding a new family member. In August, the Rogers' added a very cute furry addition to the family that we adopted from the Bella Foundation. Our oldest son, Big C named our new Chiweenie puppy, Lucky. "Mom, I hope he brings us luck," he said. Big C even wrote an essay about him for his English class. I was one proud mama when he brought home an A. I'm hoping this streak of good grade luck will continue.

Here's Lucky... Isn't he a cutie?




5) Experiencing earthquakes. In Oklahoma. During November, Hubby and I were jolted awake at 2:15 a.m. by our first earthquake, a 4.7 one Saturday night. Then the next night, the biggest earthquake in Oklahoma history, a 5.6 rocked our house for a minute. Our youngest son, Little C came running down the stairs in a panic asking us what was happening. Big C slept right through it. Then another night we had a 4.7 earthquake during a tornado and flash flood watch. I felt another small one a few days ago. We are expecting the volcano to erupt any minute now.

That's just a small serving of what's been on my plate lately. How are you? Writing lots? Taken any great writing classes lately? I'd love to hear all about it.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Sounds like you've spent your time well. Classes sound fascinating. I would love to find a novel inside me, but don't really see it there. Your puppy is SO adorable and I think he's a very Lucky boy! Hope to see you again soon! Hugs all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ann! I didn't think I had a novel in me either, but I had this story idea in my head that kept haunting me. I just had to write about it. Miss seeing you. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete