Sunday, May 16, 2010

South Carolina and Books

Hey, y'all.

This is how Hubby and I were greeted at a few restaurants on a trip to South Carolina last week. So hard not to giggle with each warm southern welcome. We dug the accents, friendliness, and all that wonderful charm and hospitality.

It was difficult to find time to write during our trip, but I did squeeze out a few paragraphs one afternoon.

We drove past lanes of lush oak trees dripping with Spanish moss. Countless Magnolia trees dotted the landscape. I imagined what life was like during the Civil War era. And without air conditioning. The air was a sticky breeze. Good thing mosquito season was a few months away. We cranked up the music on Sirius radio as beautiful houses with wrap around porches whizzed by on the way to Kiawah Island where we spent a few days.




Then onto Charleston where we found super cool Blue Bicycle Books located on King Street. There you'll find used, rare, and local books. You'll want to check this place out if you visit Charleston.








I bought a used copy of The ABCs of Writing for Children for only $4.95! And Girls in Trucks a debut novel by author, Katie Crouch who grew up in South Carolina. I wanted to load up on purchases, but I had to hold myself back. I have a teetering tower of unread books at home, and I couldn’t fit anything else in my carry on.




We strolled along the Battery overlooking the historic Charleston harbor. Across the street amazing homes built in the 1800s lined the waterfront. We wished we could go inside each glorious one for a tour then sit on a porch to sip some sweet iced tea or a frosty mint julep.



Then we headed to the Battery Carriage House Inn that was built in 1843. It's supposed to be haunted. Guests report seeing a headless soldier hovering over their beds and other eerie occurrences. We may just have to stay there sometime...if I get really brave. I'm the type who would see a ghost.


The smell of jasmine and honeysuckle tickled our noses. The Historic District smelled better than Honolulu. I kid you not. I plucked some jasmine from a bush in front of a home with a for sale sign.



Then off to downtown Charleston where it didn’t smell so nice with the horse-drawn carriages and all…




After that to lunch for some of the best gulf shrimp we’ve ever tasted. Oh. My. Gosh. Yum. We should have had the steamed clams, too. Those suckers were HUGE. Also, had the she-crab bisque, but it was better on Kiawah Island.



I devoured half of Girls in Trucks on the plane ride home. A few times, I laughed a little loudly. People looked at me funny. Read the rest of the book over the next few days. It's sassy, scandalous, and heartbreaking. Not at all what I envisioned from reading the back cover. The ending was something I never saw coming, y'all.

We loved South Carolina and our awesome bookstore visit. I'd love to hear about your vacation bookstore finds or the ones in your city. What local bookstores do you recommend?

2 comments:

  1. Kim! I'm so glad to read this! It just so happens that we are leaving for a trip to NC, SC, and Florida next week! And we are going to Charleston. Dr. Lobo and I love bookstores, too, so we are always on the lookout for independent bookstores. If there are any other places you went that you highly recommend, please let me know this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannie, you and Dr. Lobo are world travelers! I hope you love SC as much I did! My hubby hails from NC and we've lived in Florida. What cities are you planning to visit? We only hit that one bookstore during our trip as we only spent an afternoon in Charleston. Those locally owned bookstores are our favorites! They did have a neat library at our hotel on Kiawah Island. I wish we would have had a chance to visit a plantation. Would have loved to see the Magnolia Plantation outside of Charleston http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/. I want to go back! Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

    ReplyDelete