Monday, April 19, 2010

One April Morning



Today marks the fifteen year anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing. This review is in remembrance of all who lost their lives that day, the survivors, their families and friends.

One April Morning
By Nancy Lamb and Children of Oklahoma City
Illustrated by Floyd Cooper

Reading level: Ages 6 and up
Hardcover: 1 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers; 1st edition (April 1996)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 068814666X
ISBN-13: 978-0688146665

Summary:

Author, Nancy Lamb was visiting her hometown of Oklahoma City when the bomb exploded. She interviewed fifty Oklahoma City children ranging from ages 3 to 14. Of those interviewed, none lost loved ones in the bombing. Lamb considered those children “too fragile.”

One April Morning was written in close collaboration with Oklahoma City therapists, clergy, and teachers. The book is filled with quotes from children deeply affected by the bombing. Each section describes a specific incident – from how life was for children in Oklahoma City before the bombing, to what happened during the bombing, and afterwards. The children share their feelings of shock and fear, guilt and anger, and their sense of hope and healing.

I was touched by the emotion-packed illustrations and the powerful words from children. “The first night it rained, it seemed like God was crying, too,” said Emily. “God doesn’t like people destroying His world,” said Addi.

Although I enjoyed the book, it was difficult for me to read. I grew up in Oklahoma and was in the city that day. My memories are still vivid fifteen years later.

On April 19, 1995, I was working on the third floor of an office building just six miles away from downtown Oklahoma City. I felt the bomb blast. Our building rumbled under our feet. The windows rattled.

That day, 168 of my fellow citizens lost their lives. A few of them were my friends. Fifteen years later, it is still awful and heartbreaking. Tears are welling in my eyes as I type this because the images and events of that day are forever etched in my mind. It's still hard to talk about.

I will never forget what happened on April 19, 1995 at 9:02 AM.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. The illustration on that cover leaves me speechless. Just...wow.
    The bombing is an intense thing for me to think about and I was nowhere near Oklahoma City at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The illustrations are powerful and the words tear at your heart. The bombing is difficult to wrap my mind around still. I don't understand how someone could be filled with so much hate.

    ReplyDelete